Last week Chris and I talked about how we need to get Brayden moving on the potty training. We had purchased his potty a year ago and were waiting for the signs he was ready. He had some mild interest in it when we got it, but then it became a toy for him to play with.
On Thursday we decided it was time to start. He is now 2 1/2 and was showing no sign of wanting to potty train. I called my cousin to she if she had any helpful tips for us since she had potty trained 4 kids already. Along with her tips and lots and lots of research on the internet, we came up with a plan of attack.
First thing Friday morning I decided to start. We decided that we were going to sit him on the potty every 30 mins. Most of the day was spent explaining why we potty in the toilet and just sitting on it. I know he was nervous and unsure what to expect. He successfully put pee pee in the toilet twice. I was so proud.
On Sat we went shopping to get some supplies to help us. We bought a calendar, stickers and some M&Ms. But most importantly his new big boy Cars underpants. This day was not very successful. Being out all day shopping and having company over that night, we knew we wouldn't get much out of him. So Sunday was going to be our first official day of potty training.
First thing this morning I put Brayden in his new Cars underpants. I explained to him how important it was for him to tell me when he was ready to go to the potty. Within 20 mins of putting the underpants on him, he peed in them. I expected that and I put him on the potty to make sure he was done. He walked his wet underpants upstairs and we put a new pair on. Within another 20 mins, he again peed his underpants and we repeated the previous process. After 30 mins went by I walked Brayden to the potty and he went. He was excited. I was excited. He followed the steps Elmo taught him on Elmo's Potty Time. Wipe. Flush. Wash Hands. After I gave him a sticker to put on his potty calendar and an M&M.
We continued every 30 mins for the rest of the day. He managed to use it 7 times and only had 7 accidents. I call that a very successful first day. I am so proud of him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment