Friday, August 3, 2012

Soda...Not in this house anymore.

A few weeks ago I went to the chiropractor to help me with my back and neck issues. The first thing they did was weigh me. I weighed the exact same weight as I did when I first started walking. Even after 2 straight months of walking daily, I still didn't lose weight like I wanted to.

The weather got (and is still) hot and is preventing me from taking the kids to the park or doing my daily walks. I figured I had to do something else.

I feel my diet is pretty good, but I have a terrible sweet tooth. I know sugar is not the best thing for me and decided to start googling how much sugar is in my drinks.

I love Dr. Pepper. In fact, it was really the only soda I drank. Yes I would drink Pib if they did have DP, but it was not my preference.

I was sad to find out that my favorite drink had 4 tablespoons of sugar per can. YIKES! I would have to walk about an hour every day for just the one can of DP. So all the walking I was doing was just burning off my can of soda. Most days I would drink more than 12oz.

I made the decision right there that I would no longer drink soda in the house. I'm not willing to give it up completely. I am allowing myself one if we go out. Which is very rare.
I made the switch to tea. I liked tea anyways and had it on occasion or at a restaurant. I still put a tablespoon of sugar in my 16 oz cup, but I figured cutting 3 tablespoons out was better than none.

After 5 days I lost 3 pounds. I was so happy how easy it was to lose weight by just cutting out the sugar.

Chris was inspired by my no soda in the house that he decided he would also participate.
A week later I started not feeling well and discovered that I was drinking too much black tea in a day. My gall bladder got mad at me. I thought tea was good for you, but was unaware that you should limit the amount of black tea you consume to 24-30 oz. I was drinking close to 80.

After my horrific gall bladder attack I decided to start drinking things that were good for my gall bladder and liver.

I still drink coffee. Boy do I need that in the morning. I really wish I could bottle the kids energy for myself. I still drink a glass of black tea. I enjoy the taste.

I have now added mint tea to the rotation nightly before bed. I am not a peppermint fan at all, but its growing on me. I add a touch of honey to mellow it out.

I also started drinking lemon water. This is going to take some time to get used to. I know its good for me, but it is so sour. I also add a touch of honey to cut down the pucker face.

My changes are becoming noticeable. I have lost 7 pounds in 15 days. I also feel better. Not as tired as I once was. I thought it was going to be a little harder, but if its not in the house I can't drink it.

I look forward to the days getting cooler so I can take the kids out and go for walks myself. I really need out of this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment