When I became a SAHM I knew the work would be hard, especially
when both of my kids were under 3. But I never imagined how secluded I was
about to become.
You start to miss simple adult conversations. I complained
all the time when I worked about my annoying employees, but now I wish for
those terrible conversations. Sometimes you need more than a 3 year old
conversation.
It seems over time the people you are close to disappear.
You get comfortable with your circle of friends and don't realize at the time
that it could end someday.
When Chris and I got married in 2003, I started to notice we
were not getting the phone calls or invites we had in the past. Not entirely
sure why. We were still the same people; I just had a new last name.
After I graduated that Dec, we moved away from our small
college town to find much needed work. We decided to stay in the Kansas City
area since we both loved it here. We have no family here, but we enjoy this
part of the state compared to St Louis and Springfield.
Choosing to live in an area with no family puts a little
strain on us. My Dad does live in town, but due to disability he cannot watch the
kids by himself. We don't have anyone nearby that we can drop the kids off so
we can have a night together. In fact we haven't had a kid free night since
Brayden was 4 months old. We went to see Rob Zombie. (Side note - He puts on a
great show! I've seen him a few times)
I really don't know what I would do without Facebook or
Twitter. On most days it is my only adult contact besides my husband. Facebook
gives me a view of how other people are doing. It fulfills a small social void.
I love looking at pictures. Especially of pets and babies. Facebook also allows
me to know a person a little better. There is a lot you can know about a person
based on the pictures they post and the stuff they share or like.
I do try to get out of the house daily. The weather this
year has made this a little harder. Since I don't have a car, we mostly walk to
the little park up the street. I never knew when I became a SAHM how excited I
would be to see another parent at the park, even if it’s only 30 minutes or so.
I've tried to do the forum thing. I just don't understand
the language. I was reading for a week before I decided to Google what a ds or
a dd were. Heck, it took me forever to figure out how to use Twitter properly.
I look forward to when the kids start activities. I would like
to get Brayden in more activities, but unfortunately there are not many options
for pre-k on the weekends. Those timeslots are saved for the school aged kids.
The activities will not only be good for the kids, but myself as well. I will
be able to meet parents with kids my kids ages.
I just have to keep telling myself that this feeling is only
temporary. In a few years, both my kids will be in school and I will be able to
find a part time job or do an activity while they are in class. This too will
get me out of the house and socialize with other adults.
Until then I will be
the SAHM of a 3yo and an 18mo, whose most important role is to be the best
mommy ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment