Thursday, January 19, 2012

TV Off Time

When I took over being a stay at home mom, Chris and I talked about having a period of the day where the TV is off and music be played instead. I decided that tv off time is between 10 and 1. Since then I have been successful about 85% of the time on the weekdays.

We watch children's programs in the morning. Mostly PBS shows like Cat in the Hat, Super Why, Dinosaur Train and Sesame Street. At 10 I turn off the TV and turn on the iPod. Some days we listen to specific albums, other I just hit shuffle. The idea of this was to force Brayden to be able to find something else to do besides watching TV or Movies. I also use this time to read to each of the kids.

Some days are more successful then others.

Yesterday I turned off the TV and Brayden told me he wanted to color. He spent an hour coloring and organizing his crayons. After lunch he wanted to play with his marble game and I gave him a piggy back ride around the living room. He also asked me to read 2 chapter from his Cars storybook. We did various activities until around 1 when he asked to watch Cars. I then turned it on for him in his room. Watching movies in his room helps him relax since he no longer takes naps.

Today was a different story. I turned the tv off at 10 and got aa giant toddler tantrum. He ran to his room, shut the door, and proceeded to kick the floor for 20 mins. After he finally calmed down, he decided that playing with his Little People Zoo would be much more fun. He played that for a while then came downstairs and asked for me to read him his book. We then had lunch and after he asked for a movie. I tell him it still tv off time but he could help mama do chores. He left to go to his room and came back 5 minutes later and wanted to help.

Tv off time has been really helpful for myself as well. I get my housework done and get more one on one time with B.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment